By Dr. Omenda Nyamoma, VET Surgeon, Milk Procurement and Public Liason Supervisor
Dairy farming, just like any other business venture, is fast becoming viable and profitable, with many farmers embracing it as a venture worth engaging in. This has been made more favorable due to the ever growing demand for milk and related products, and breeding stock pegged on the ever increasing population combined with the reducing sizes of land for other agricultural ventures that require large hectares of land to realize reasonable profits among other factors.
How then do we get to a healthy and profitable dairy cow?
- Have a clear vision as to what you desire for your business
- Engage professionals in the dairy sector such as veterinary surgeons
- Identify weaknesses of your dairy herd
- Select bull semen suitable to improve the weakness
- Ensure insemination is done professionally
- Care of in-calf cow: